Wednesday, February 7, 2007

smile.

How many smiles away is happiness? Are we there yet?
No, not there yet. Keep faking.

But it hurts, mummy. My cheeks are sinking in, they will soon be able to tell…
Come, sweetie. Don’t worry, mommy will take care of that. All you need to do is think happy thoughts. Here, think of… cotton candy.
Sticky, all-too-sweet, pink cotton candy?
Whatever you like, honey.
Mom! Look at me. Just once look at me! I hate cotton candy! Alright?
Now, don’t frown like that. People don’t like mean-looking kids. Be a nice little boy and show me your perfect pearly teeth. There you go… no, don’t grin like that!
I wish I had no mouth. No teeth. No lips. Just a hollow emptiness. I would be smiling AAAAL the time.
That’s nice, sweetie. Be a good boy, now. Take mommy’s hand.

Is happiness nice?
Sure it is. It’s all you’ve ever wanted.
Why is it so far, then?
What did I tell you about frowning? Better. We’re not far now.

What does it look like?
What does what look like?
Happiness.
I told you, like everything you’ve ever wanted.

All in one place?
Yes.
Neat.
Neat indeed.

Will daddy be there?
Huh?
Daddy, mommy. Will he be there?
If you want him to.
I do.

Mom?
Yes, sweetie.
It still hurts.
I’m sure it’s not far away.

No comments: